So, a couple of months ago I remembered that Richard has never been to a "real" concert before (I told him the classical concerts his Mom took him to when he was little did not count). I had promised him while we were engaged that I would take him to his first concert as soon as we got married (we were living in Vegas right after we got married where there are concerts all the time). Well, that never happened so here we are two years later and Richard still had never been to a concert.
I decided to correct that right then and got on-line to check out who was coming to the Salt Lake area this summer. I decided that the best concerts to take him to (he would prefer to go to They Might Be Giants, I would prefer Kelly Clarkson or Matchbox 20 - so I chose people we both like) would be either John Mayer or Jack Johnson. Richard didn't care which one, so we let the deciding factor be when our friend, Sara, could spend the night and watch Nelson for us. Since Jack is coming the end of August and Sara is a teacher, we decided that it was John we were going to go see. Needless to say, I was excited to go since it was a first for Richard and I haven't been to a concert for two years.
Well, two weeks ago Sara calls and tells me she has kidney stones and is scheduled for an operation to blow them up (or something like that) in California the Friday before the concert. So, she cannot watch Nelson. I thought it was okay since my parents had told me they were going to be up here during that time. So, I call them and they had changed their plans... they are going to Australia to see my brother instead (seriously, why would they choose to go see my brother in Australia when they can come see me for the third time this month?). Next plan, find a babysitter and cut the concert short. A neighbor family (the Bearss) loves Nelson and Nelson loves them, so it was easy to find someone to watch him. My only problem was not wanting to take advantage of their kindness, so I told them we would be back at 10:00. The concert started at 10:00, so I thought 3 hours would be enough.
Well, we got to the concert at 7:30 and had missed the first act. It was okay since I had never heard of the guy before. The next opener was Colbie Caillet. I love her, so I was excited! Richard just kind of sat there with no expression on his face... not his favorite type of music. It was still pretty bright and warm outside. She sounded great, but she was just up on the stage singing. No flashing lights or fog machines for her. She ended at 8:30, and I thought we had a good chance to hear a few of John's songs before we had to leave at 9:15. Nope. It took them 35 minutes to set up the stage! We were only there for two songs. As we were walking out, I pointed to all of the cool lights and everything on stage and told Richard to look at what a "real" concert is like. So, I was totally bummed about missing most of John Mayer, and I heard the rest of the concert was super good. Oh well, at least we have pictures.
Thanks for reading my rantings... I needed to get my disappointment out somewhere.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Colbie Caillet Concert?
Posted by Burrows: places of retreat; shelter or refuge. at 9:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
Oh that STINKS!
John Mayer is GREAT in concert!
I'm glad that Richard got to go to his first concert though....
You should check out the concerts the next time you come to Vegas and I'll totally watch Nelson for you. (Although if it's Jack Johnson I'll be going to the concert too....I still haven't seen him in concert and he's on my list... :-)
I'm sorry you didn't get to stay for John Mayer. The picture of you guys looks so cute and like you're having fun!
Holy Cow, it is Jeanne-marie. I saw your name on Natalie Dayton's blog and thought there isn't that many Jeanne-Marie's around. I went to high school with Natalie. Crazy! Oh, this is Heather Petersen from Romania. Email me and I will invite you to our blog. heatherpridge@hotmail.com
Hey Jeanne Marie we need to get together sometime! Oh my husband was the same way when I took him to a collective soul concert. He just kinda stood there. Who doesn't like collective soul. Hellooooo! Anyhoo cute blog!
Hey we'd always be willing to babysit- as long as we can do an occasional babysitter swap! I'm glad you both got to go to a concert. Cute glasses!
I want to punch you!!!
"rjnburrows"??? Where did you learn to spell? I disown you.
Your brother likes to make off the wall comments which are not necessarily the opinion of your real Mom. Help he has invaded my blog. I will blame it on a virus.
Post a Comment