Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Confessions of a Coupoholic!

Okay, I'm just going to come out and say it... I'm addicted!  I am completely addicted to couponing!  My friend, Crystal, introduced me to it a few months ago and after dipping my toes into the couponing world for a couple of months, I jumped in!  And, I haven't looked back once.  You don't know how exciting it is to plan out the most incredible shopping trip, get everything you wanted on you list, and come home to show your husband how much you really saved.  If you want to get a glimpse of my excitement, come along with me as I explain the past two weeks worth of savings.  Look at this picture and guess how much I spent:


Did you guess $7.58?  And then did you guess that I got $12.00 worth of voucher money for my next shopping trip at Albertson's?  That's what I thought!  Now you might be thinking, I'm pretty good at this couponing thing, but I'm just getting started....
Okay, so I have $12.00 worth of vouchers and the new week starts, so I make my plan to conquer the whole store!  In the end I come out with: 24 boxes of cereal, 2 gallons of milk, 2 blocks of cream cheese, one small block of cheese, one French Vanilla coffee mate (for orange julius), and a cake mix.  For all of this, I used my $12.00 in vouchers and paid just under $8.00.  And, I left with a voucher for another free gallon of milk.
You may be thinking that I need to live off of other things than cereal and bandaids.  Don't worry, every week I stock up on different things.  And, I still have money left over for the other food that is necessary.  
For example, after only spending $8.00 at Albertson's this past week, I headed to WalMart and Kohler's (both pretty close to each other and on the way home to my house).  At those two stores, I spent another $20 on: two pounds of turkeyburger, two pound bad of mini carrots, a dozen eggs, a pork roast, cottage cheese, paper towels, two frozen orange juice concentrates, a bottle of apple juice, two boxes of Electrasol dishwasher tabs, a bottle of barbeque sauce and a kid plastic outdoor chair.  
Later that week, when I was at my in-law's in Orem, I stopped by Sunflower Market and spent another $8.00 on watermelon, bananas, peaches, pears, tomatoes, lettuce, and two ears of corn.  Then, I had just enough money left in my $50/week budget to head to Costco to stock up on Clorox wipes.
You see, I really am addicted to clipping those coupons and saving.  Go ahead, laugh all you want, but I'm saving tons of money and building up my food storage!
And speaking of clipping, I took my scissors to more than just my coupons last week.  After giving Richard his monthly haircut, I took my scissors to Nelson's hair.  I knew he needed shorter hair for the summer, but it still took me a couple of days to get used to my baby's older look.  What do you think?  Doesn't he look so much older?


8 comments:

Traci said...

I think I need to take lessons on your coupon shopping. I want to get into it, but just haven't been able to. Where do you find all your coupons?

Brandi said...

Okay, tell me how you do this couponing thing. I have another friend who does this. Where in the world do you get all these coupons? Once I am settled again I plan to delve into this new world of couponing. I am a bargain shopper, so I think I'd love couponing!

And, yes, your little looks older. He's cute!

Kalista said...

Wow, I am amazed by how much you've saved! How incredible! I wish they had coupons here.... Well you'll have to give me some tips on saving money with coupons the next time we're living in the US. By then you'll be even more amazing at saving with coupons. :) i love Nelson's hair cut, he does look a lot older! i can't wait to see him and you too! Love you!

J♥M said...

You go girl!
Nelson will always be handsome!

Amber Lee said...

Couponing is becoming hugely popular down here, too, with people even giving classes on it. My friends in NC did it all the time, but I've just never caught on to it.

Unknown said...

Great job on your coupon shopping. It is big in NC. I even get a weekly email reminder from the RS pres. about the great deals. Have you checked out coupons.com?

Ben and Jenny said...

I am requesting a follow up post on how exactly you do this! Where do you get most of your coupons. MORE INFO PLEASE!!!

Emily Widdison said...

Maybe I do it wrong. I hate couponing because I usually end up getting things I don't normally need or use. Looks like you got some good stuff. Maybe I need lessons.