Since it's Mother's Day, I wanted to give a little shout out to my Moms!
I don't know how I got so lucky, but I was born to the best Mom in the whole-wide world! Seriously, it is hard for us daughters not to be a little envious of the perfection that preceded us in motherhood! At least we got to benefit from the perfect. Although it will be really hard to repeat. Some of you that don't know my Mom may be asking how she could be so perfect. Well, not only did my Mom have nine kids, but she also welcomed any of our friends to be her kids as well. I think the last count was 1,268 kids in all (including the missionaries she and my Dad served with in the mission field). She not only had a lot of kids, but she made/makes each one of us feel like we were her favorite. Although, she will never admit that I really am her favorite! She is kind to all. She thinks of others first. She has the most faith and spirituality of anyone I know. She works hard to overcome her weaknesses (her silly feet - I know, how would it be to only have your feet as you weaknesses?). She is always in the service of others. She was the only person who could get me out of my darkest times in my life by building my confidence and testimony in Jesus Christ... I am crying thinking about all she's done for me. She really has taught me through words and actions how to be a great Mom. Although, I never think I can live up to her greatness, I will try! I was named after her, you know. A year before I was born, she received a Priesthood blessing that said she would be blessed with a daughter who would bring honor and glory to her name. Knowing that, when faced with choices in my life, I have always thought, "Will this bring honor to my Mother?". I hope to continue to make her proud. I love the picture below. It was taken hours after Nelson was born. You can see the love she has for me and Nelson in her eyes.
Mom Burrows is a woman of many talents. While waiting to find her eternal companion, she educated herself and developed these many talents that would help her future family immensely. When she found her eternal companion, she was a saint and took on his six kids as well. She then added three more children to the bunch. While taking care of nine children, she also found time to teach at the local community college and be involved in other community groups. I am a busy body like her so appreciate her outgoing nature and friend-making abilities. Because of this, I appreciate her even more for her willingness now to drop events and socials to be the full-time caretaker of her husband. Mom, we really do know you sacrifice so much for Dad's health and well-being. Thank you for taking on and tackling this hard challenge. I am most thankful for the way in which my very own eternal companion was raised. He is so well rounded and educated. He is so kind and willing to help. He is so spiritually minded. And, I know he became the man that he is under your influence.

I have so many other women in my life that I think about this day. Women who really have been "Moms" to me. To name of few: my older sister, Lora; my only aunt I had my whole life, Marietta; my YW leader, Lin Hansen; my Dixie roommate's Moms; my mission Mom, Sheila Hanson; my BYU Mom, Susan Orton; and many, many other amazing women that I've been proud to call "Mom".
Becoming a Mom has definitely helped me realize that Mom really do deserve this special day. So to all of you Moms out there that babysit, clean, cook, shop, pay bills, wrap presents, kiss hurts better, play games, run kids to soccer practice, and countless other things on a daily basis; sit back relax and just soak in the love you are given today... you will need it to get through the next year!




5 comments:
I love what you wrote about my mom--and it's true. Of all the kids, Richard by far spent the longest time at home, so he really has been hugely influenced by our mom. And he's better off for it. He's lucky to have you--such an appreciative wife!
this was such a sweet post! you're an awesome mom Jeanne-Marie! love you and happy mother's day!
Wonderful post! Isn't motherhood awesome?! I have no doubt you will bring honor (and have!) to your mother's name and will be just as great of a mom as she is! Nelson is a lucky little boy to have you as his mommy.
Happy Mother's Day. I know I've barely met your mom, but I love her. Didn't she come have a sleepover with us? What am I vaguely remembering here? Anyway, happy mother's day to one of the most rockinest mothers.
Great post! Makes me think of the quote: "Mothers and Daughters become closer when Daughters become Mothers." Isn't that so true? We truly appreciate our mothers more when we start experiencing things they do. Now one asks...how did they make it look so easy? Thanks for honoring your mother by being a wonderful mother yourself. Nelson's adorable!! I love your mom as much as I love my own. Love, Chauntelle
Post a Comment